List of Things to Look for When Shopping for High Quality Clothing
For long lasting durability, value for the dollar, and most important to many how well the garment looks, it’s critical to know how to recognize and judge clothing according to its quality. In order to recognize high-quality clothing, you’ll have to learn to look for specific things in its construction.
In general, you will find higher quality when buying the higher end brand names and fine apparel by designers and names such as Oscar de la Renta, Giorgio Armani, Donna Karan, Calvin Klein, Anne Klein, DKNY, Ralph Lauren, Nicole Miller, Liz Claiborne, Kenneth Cole, and Nine West. There is often a sense of pride found with the well known brands as they stake their reputations on the quality of their clothing and its construction. However, it is also possible to find high quality clothes from brands that are not so well known.
Here’s a listing of some tips on what to look for when trying to find that quality piece:
- Any buttons or other fasteners should be firmly attached.
- Any zippers should operate smoothly when being zipped and unzipped.
- The thread used should match the type and color of the fabric.
- The stitching should not be visible on the hemline.
- The hemlines should be absolutely even all of the way around.
- Any pockets should lie flat and be straight.
- Seams should be at least 5/8″ and should be straight.
- Prints and designs should match and line up at all seams.
- You should not see any loose threads anywhere.
- Inspect the weave of the fabric; it should be even and uniform throughout.
- The fabric should lay smooth, no puckering or gaping.
- Any lining should be sewn securely and should not be seen when the garment is on.
The above hints should help you to find well-made garments and accessories, whether looking for pants, dresses, skirts, suits, blouses, slacks, coats, jackets, shoes, purses, or scarves. Quality clothing will often cost more, but it will wear longer and better. For that, it’s worth it.