Top 10 Free Open Source Software Applications
datSplat! is a user and proud supporter of many open source software developers and applications. Our favorite open source software is mentioned below.
This list includes the most usable and useful open source software available (in our opinion) and includes software for anything from blogging to email to WYSIWYG web development software to browser software to stats / log analyzer software to word processing to photo gallery management to office productivity applications and more.
We believe you’ll find this list covers many of the core programs a webmaster or web developer might need.
Without further ado, here’s our list of MVP (Most Valuable Programs), not listed in any particular order:
1. WordPress – a flexible and extensible publishing platform that allows you to customize it and use it as a weblog or content management system (CMS).
2. Geeklog – an open-source web content management system that can be used as a portal or weblog and is easily extended by various contributions from the community.
3. Gallery – a photo management software that makes it easy to manage and display your photos online on your own site, all neatly and attractively organized in their own albums.
4. AWStats – a free and powerful log analyzer that presents your web server statistics, regarding your web site visitors and other information, in a simple to read, graphical fashion.
5. Nvu – a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) HTML editor that provides an easy-to-use web authoring system for beginning and experienced web developers and webmasters alike.
6. Firefox – a customizable must-have open-source browser from Mozilla that offers Internet users a safer and more pleasant web experience.
7. Thunderbird – another great product from Mozilla, the Thunderbird email client delivers safety and security to email users everywhere.
8. OpenOffice – an easy to use and easy to install office suite software package that includes word processing, spreadsheet, multimedia presentation creation, graphics, and database programs.
9. FileZilla – a powerful, feature rich FTP client for Windows 9x, ME, NT4, 2000 and XP which, among many other things, includes SFTP support.
10. PuTTY – a free, open source SSH, Telnet and Rlogin client program.
Honorable Mentions: WinSCP, an open source freeware SFTP client for Windows that uses SSH and also supports SCP, and IPCop Firewall , an easy to use Linux firewall distro primarily developed with the home and SOHO user in mind.
For those looking for freeware, go one better and go Open Source!
The programs above release their source code under various licensing such as MPL GPL LGPL GNU BSD NPL, etc. See individual licensing information for the specific product for details.